Kids hate vitamins – we know. That’s why gummy vitamins will rank as one of the best kid inventions of all time.
Kids love ‘em!
Kids want more of ‘em!
Kids steal them and bring them to school!
Gummy vitamins are a fantastic way to get your kids into the habit of healthy supplementation. Unfortunately, being sticky and enjoyably sweet comes with a few side notes from us dental-folk.
We’ve got a few suggestions that’ll help you administer these tasty health bombs so your kids reap the benefits while minimizing the negatives.
There isn’t a lot of info out there from reputable sources regarding gummy vitamins. Most articles suggest they should be avoided, and many tend to mock the little guys.
The truth, as with much in life, lies in the middle.
Your kids aren’t going to rot their teeth away just because they get their vitamins in the form of a chewy gummy bear. In fact, “no research has been published evaluating whether gummy vitamins are any worse for the teeth than chalky chewables in healthy children. “
That said, here are several ways to limit the sticky nature of your kids’ favorite gummy vitamins.
- Give vitamin during mealtime or before eating so that the other food they eat scrapes the teeth free from the sugar.
- Don’t give gummy vitamin AFTER tooth brushing because, well … that sorta’ defeats the purpose of tooth brushing!
- Choose regular-flavored gummies over sour gummies – the added citric acid is not a welcome additive.
- Limit other sticky foods in your child’s diet.
- Visit the dentist regularly, and practice good oral hygiene.
- If your child already eats a variety of fresh foods, feel free to skip the vitamins.
The bottom line is, everything else you do to keep your family healthy is 99% of the battle. So, keep doing that.
And if the only way you can get your little ones to take their vitamins is to get it in the form of a gummy bear, don’t fret. Just be sure they’re not leaving that sticky stuff on their teeth all day!