Dental assistants are the glue that keeps a dental office together. They’re also a tremendous asset when it comes to keeping your kids calm at the office. Without them, your local dentist’s office would be a whirlwind.
Let’s learn more about how dental assistants can help you and your family.
1. By taking and developing dental radiographs (X-rays): This is a great time to learn about digital X-rays and what they allow a dentist to see.
Ask questions and learn about what’s going on in your mouth. X-rays are cool!
2. Getting an account of your medical history: The dental assistant is your initial connection with your dentist. Be sure to keep them abreast of any new medications or supplements you’ve started taking since your last appointment, that way the doctor knows if they need to make any treatment adjustments.
As an extra precaution, be sure to ask the doctor if they were able to look over your updated drug and supplement information before they begin their work.
3. Serving as an infection control officer: This is another wonderful reason to love your dental assistant! They help keep you safe by sterilizing instruments and equipment that will be used to work on your teeth and gums.
4. Helping keep your kids comfortable before, during and after dental treatment: Enough said!
5. Providing follow-up care instructions: Knowing what to do after you’ve visited the dentist is just as important as knowing what to do beforehand.
Your dental assistant will give you all this info so you’re in excellent shape once you leave.
6. Teaching your kids good oral care habits: Simple visual guidelines for tooth brushing and flossing are some of the dental assistant’s specialties – ask them to demonstrate!
7. Taking impressions of patients' teeth for study casts: When your retainer, bridge, or mouth guard fits perfectly, you can thank your dental assistant.
So, there you have it, a dental assistant is your ongoing ally – thank them often!