As the saying goes: “On St. Patrick’s day, everyone is Irish!” Gallant parades flow down city streets, Irish music flows out of public houses, shamrock pins are dusted off from the year prior, and liquids of all sorts turn a shade greener.
And, when it comes to the health of our bodies and our teeth, going green is most certainly a good thing. Here are five edible goodies that’ll allow you to ring in St. Patrick’s Day in all its green glory!
1. Drink Up: Do you enjoy a cup of tea from time to time? If so, you should consider going green.
Green tea is loaded with antioxidants that reduce inflammation, promote good breath, and reduce the overall level of cavity-inducing bacteria in the mouth. It also tastes great!
2. Get Crunchy: Green apples are wonderful allies in what should be an ongoing effort to boost saliva flow and keep your mouth hydrated throughout the day. An apple a day is indeed still good advice.
Want some more crunch without the sugar? Try the mighty celery stalk. Eaten raw, it’s somewhat akin to nature’s toothbrush, cleaning your teeth and massaging your gums as you eat. And, like apples, celery helps get that saliva flowing!
3. Hit the Garden: Broccoli, kale, and zucchini are fabulous at remineralizing tooth enamel – a critical part of keeping your teeth healthy.
Combine them with their orange brethren, carrots, sweet potato and pumpkin for a Vitamin-A infused tooth bath that’ll make your dentist proud.
4. Go for The Herbs: When it comes to fighting the oral bacteria, foods that have antibacterial properties are your friends.
Basil and oregano can be your champions in this battle, helping to prevent cavities and fight gum disease at the same time. Not bad for a couple of tasty herbs most of us wouldn’t mind dumping on our pasta any day of the week.
5. Take a Trip “Down Under”: That green fuzzy fruit that gets its name from the national symbol of New Zealand (a bird that resembles the kiwifruit) helps support the collagen network in gum tissue – certainly something we’d all like to keep looking and feeling healthy.
To help in peeling kiwis, get yourself a good paring knife. The outer skin will come right off with a good knife.
Even though St. Patrick’s Day celebrations come but once a year, give your teeth a healthy boost and keep green on your mind (and on your plate!) all year round!